Saturday, January 16, 2010

Vietnamese sandwiches at a Chinese restaurant- my kind of fusion!

When this week started, I didn't know I would be taking a world tour of pork sandwiches. First I went to France. Next it was Cuba. And I concluded my world tour in Asia when I got the taste for Chinese food Friday. Hing Won is right down the street from me, known for their delicious pig (pork belly) over rice. Well, they also use it in a sandwich. It's their variation of a bahn mi, a Vietnamese sandwich.

I'd never had a Chinese food sandwich, but this one gets it right. The rich pork belly is mellowed by a sweet sauce, and pickled vegetables. The sandwich also features a generous serving of cilantro, one of my personal favorites. The bread is toasted and you're left to enjoy a sandwich sure to leave a smile on your face. It was a great way to end the week!


No comments: