Monday, June 14, 2010

Variety Deli: The Cure for Lunch Indecision


With so many options in the city for lunch, I often feel a bit indecisive about what to get for lunch. I just can't figure out what I want to eat. And on days like this, I have a fall back: Variety Deli. I started going here (I think when they opened) back around 2005 in part because located at 48th between 5th and 5th, it was a short walk from my office. They have a really good by the pound buffet with lots of rotating options. Perfect for my days when I don't know what I want. I can have a little bit of everything.

Variety is also good because I can eat something healthy and inexpensive, a combination that can often be hard to find. Above, I have string beans, bok choy(!!!), asparagus along with shrimp, calamari and some grilled chicken. And to make sure I get filled up, just a few noodles on the side.

By the pound buffets can be treacherous if you're not careful. You can easily walk away with a $14 container of food. I try to adhere to some of the tips by the great Zach Brooks of Midtown Lunch and keep the costs to a minimum. On this day, my discipline and the ongoing Variety 5 year anniversary special of $5.99 a pound helped me to walk away paying just $6.12 (including tax) for lunch.

So, when you're plagued by indecisiveness at lunch, embrace the love that is the by the pound buffet. You're bound to find something that you'll enjoy!

No comments: