Saturday, July 11, 2009

Breakfast with my new dad: the food



I got a call last night from my soon to be father-in-law asking if I wanted to join him for breakfast. How could I say no to that! We decided to go to Le Peep in Edison, NJ, one of my favorite breakfast spots. I didn't realize until I Googled them to add the link to this post that there are Le Peep locations throughout the US. The food is so good, it feels like a family-owned spot, not a chain.

I decided to order my favorite item on the menu: the zapata frittata. It's more of a casserole with scrambled eggs, chorizo, and jalapeno salsa topped with melted cheese, a generous dollop of sour cream and green onions. They also give you their "peasant potatoes" (aka homefries) and an English muffin.

In case you wanted to look for it, I didn't see this item on the online menu. Maybe it's a creation of the Edison, NJ location. Yet another reason to love them. Each location has the autonomy to create it's own dishes and personality. Perhaps that is also part of the reason why they are so good.

It should go without saying that it was delicious. It was a breakfast that warms your stomach and your soul. Ok, that was corny. But you know what I mean. The atmosphere is just so comfortable. When we went to pay, I asked the cashier to take a picture of my "new" dad and I and before I could even give her the camera, she exclaimed, "I love taking pictures!" this is just the epitome of a neighborhood spot.

One last thing - I mentioned that I was here for breakfast with my "new" dad. You can read about that experience and see the picture the cashier took over at TanyaandEddie.com.

No comments: